Thursday, July 4, 2013

Spreads

A new sandwich place just opened near my apartment, Spreads, and it has been on my list of places to try.  Lunch is always tricky for me because I usually either bring something to work or have something in my apartment, so it is a rare occurrence for me to eat out during the week.  But, today I didn't have to go into work so I used it as an opportunity to finally give Spreads a try.  They have a lot of interesting sandwiches and salads on their menu, but the one that caught my eye was the Nutella sandwich.  I know, you are probably thinking that this doesn't sound like the most balanced lunch, and you are probably right.  However, after reading that the sandwich consisted of Nutella, Peanut Butter, carmelized rice puffed cereal, and banana on grilled challah bread, I did not really care!  This sounded like a killer combination, and I had to give it a try.
I originally planned to only eat half of the sandwich because I figured that it would be huge and rich, but it was surprisingly small.  After I took my first bite, I was very disappointed because I could barely taste any Nutella or peanut butter!  The banana slices were pretty thick and there was a lot of the rice puffed cereal, but only a very thin layer of Nutella on one side and peanut butter on the other.  All I could really taste was the challah bread, and it wasn't even that good.  Since I had already committed to having this as my lunch, I ate the whole thing because I knew if I only ate half I would be hungry within the hour.  

I left there feeling very disappointed and unsatisfied.  What originally seemed like a sandwich that could not possibly be bad turned into one of the worst I have had in a while.  If I get a craving for this combo again, I will just make it myself and I am sure it will be 20 times better.  I cannot comment on the other sandwiches there which I will say looked good, but I would not recommend getting the Nutella sandwich.  It is not worth the cost or the calories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment