Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mercer Kitchen

After a nice (but hot) day walking around the city, my sister and I treated ourselves to a nice dinner at one of Jean Georges' Restaurants, Mercer Kitchen.  I have been to one of his restaurants in Paris and my sister had been to two others, so we knew that we would be getting a great meal.  One of our rituals when going to a restaurant is to always look at the menu before hand.  It is slightly crazy, but we like knowing or at least having an idea of what we would want to get so that we can structure the other meals of our day around it.  Anyway, after we got there and heard recommendations, I decided to start with the Spring Pea Soup and get the Mozzarella Tomato and Basil Pizza as my main course.  My sister started with the Salmon Appetizer and had the Tuna Spring Roll Appetizer as her main course.

The soup was delicious!  It was really smooth and had a strong pea taste (which I love) and there was barely any cream in it which made it very light.  It also had a nice crunch from the little croutons and vegetables that were in the broth.  You can even see from the picture that it is made from mainly peas and not a lot of added milk or cream because it has such a bright green color.  I would highly recommend this if you are a fan of pea soup.  The pizza was also great.  There was the perfect amount of both sauce and cheese and the crust was doughy without being too thick.  This definitely hit the spot and made up for my pizza disaster the other night with the frozen pizza.  My sister loved both of her dishes, but I cannot vouch for them since I do not eat fish.

Of course, it is not a complete meal without having dessert!  The first item on the dessert menu was the Warm Valhrona Chocolate Cake, and I did not have to look any further.
It was my favorite kind of chocolate cake...when I put my spoon into it, the liquid chocolate center came pouring out.  It was so warm, chocolatey, and delicious.  Even though I probably could've gobbled the whole thing down myself, I opted to share it with my sister to try to control myself.  She is not as much of a chocolate freak as me, but she agreed that it was an awesome dessert.  

Overall, our dishes were delicious and even the bread tasted great!  They also have a lot of other great options that we didn't get a chance to try, like burgers, fresh fish, chicken, pasta, etc., so everyone can find something that they are looking for.  It was also completely full by the time we left, which is always a good sign.  Highly recommend it!

1 comment: