Thursday, June 13, 2013

Trader Joe's Stir Fried Vegetable Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce

Since the weather has been pretty gross in NYC all day, I decided that tonight was definitely a frozen meal night.  Choosing what I wanted was a challenge, since I have a bunch of Amy's and Trader Joe's frozen meals in my freezer for days like today.  After weighing my options, I settled on the Stir Fried Vegetable Rolls that I had picked up last week.

There is really nothing not to like about vegetable spring rolls, except for the fact that they are generally fried.  Because of that, I never order them in restaurants even though I want to.  So, when I saw that Trader Joe's had frozen spring rolls that you did not have to cook in oil and that were relatively low in fat, I was immediately sold.  Spring rolls are not complete, however, without a sweet dipping sauce, so I decided to also pick up a bottle of the Sweet Chili Sauce from Trader Joes.

The serving size is one vegetable roll for 130 calories, but since I was having them for dinner I had two.  They were ready after about 25 minutes in the oven, and I got very excited to see that the outside shell got nice and crispy from the oven.



Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the vegetable rolls.  I was worried that the shell would get soggy, but it retained the crispiness that all vegetable spring rolls have, and these weren't fried!  When I took my first bite, I got a nice big piece of tofu, and there was a nice variation of vegetables in the rolls.  The sauce, on the other hand, was a bit too spicy for me.  Since it is sweet chili sauce, I just assumed that it would have no spice to it because of the added sweetness.  While it did taste good at first, the punch of spice was too much for me and I ended up eating the rest of the spring rolls without sauce.  They still were very delicious without sauce, which to me verified that it was a great product.  They are also pretty big, so having two as dinner was filling enough for me.  If you are craving a spring roll but are trying to stay away from fried foods, I recommend these frozen spring rolls as they sure satisfied my craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment